IBJJF European Jiu-Jitsu Championships Results
Last week was absolutely jam-packed with amazing jiu-jitsu. The International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation was – finally – back in Europe for another one of their biggest events of the year: the Europeans Jiu-Jitsu Championships.
While past Euros have been held in Lisbon, Portugal, this year it was moved to Rome, Italy. If you’ve never been to a Euros – either as a participant or spectator – put it on your list. There’s something special about watching some of the greatest athletes in modern jiu-jitsu face off in the middle of an Old World city. Indeed, some history-making performances happened last week… in case you missed it, here’s a recap of some of the highlights:
- A much-anticipated rematch between Tommy Langaker and Tainan Dalpra did happen in the Middle weight finals, with Tainan securing the win by armbar. The exciting match was capped by a show of beautiful sportsmanship by the Norwegian athlete, as Tommy congratulated Tainan with a hearty pat on the back.
- Veteran American jiu-jitsu legend 38-year-old Rafael Lovato Jr. entered the adult Ultra-Heavy division and steamrolled his way to the gold medal win, showing that age is just a number.
- With two super-quick submissions – including an armbar in the finals less than 45 seconds into the match – Mayssa Bastos secured her third Europeans title.
- European athletes secured three of the adult black belt medals, a record. These were Espen Mathiesen from Norway, Bruno Lima from Portugal, and Adam Wardzinski from Poland.
- Two Brazilian athletes captured double-gold wins: Fellipe Andrew in the men’s division, and Gabi Pessanha in the women’s division.
- Cicero Costha Internacional
Adult Male Black Belt Results
- Rooster – Thalison Soares (W) v. Welerson Goncalves
- Light-Feather – Hiago Santos Silva (W) v. Paulo Miyao
- Feather – Diego Sodre (W) v. Isaac Doederlein
- Light – Espen Mathiesen (W) v. Marcelo Fausto
- Middle – Tainan Dalpra (W) v. Tommy Langaker
- Medium-Heavy – Bruno Lima (W) v. Szilard Sule
- Heavy – Adam Wardzinski (W) v. Dominique Bell
- Super-Heavy – Fellipe Andrew (W) v. Vinicius Ferreira
- Ultra-Heavy – Rafael Lovato Jr. (W) v. Guilherme Bacha
- Open Class – Fellipe Andrew (W) v. Yatan Bueno
Adult Female Black Belt Results
- Rooster – Thais Loureiro (W) v. Kaori Hernandez
- Light-Feather – Mayssa Bastos (W) v. Rose-Marie el Sharouni
- Feather – Ana Rodrigues (W) v. Gabriela Pereira
- Light – Nathalie Ribeiro (W) v. Janaina Maia de Menezes
- Middle – Thalyta Lima (W) v. Erin Johnson
- Medium-Heavy – Maggie Grindatti (W) v. Magdalena Loska
- Super-Heavy –Gabrieli Pessanha (W) v. Claire-France Thevenon
- Open Class – Gabrieli Pessanha (W) v. Thalyta Lima