Top 10 BJJ Quotes of All Time
If you're plugged into social media, you know the value of a great quote... something that really embodies that picture of you relishing a hard-fought victory, hanging your head in humble defeat, laying exhausted in a puddle of your own sweat, or doing other jiu jitsu type things.
Or maybe you haven't made the leap into the 21st century - you don't know what a "selfie" or a "tweet" is, and couldn't care less - and you just simply like good motivational advice from one of the jiu jitsu legends.
Whichever one you are, we've compiled a short-list of the 10 best BJJ quotes of all time (according to us, and in no apparent order):
1. "There is no losing in jiu jitsu. You either win or you learn." - Carlos Gracie, Sr.
2. "Jiu Jitsu is perfect. It’s humans who make errors." - Rickson Gracie
3. "The art of Jiu-Jitsu is worth more in every way than all of our athletics combined." - U.S. President Teddy Roosevelt
4. "If you want to be a lion, you must train with lions." - Carlson Gracie, Sr.
5. "If you ask me what belt I am today I’ll tell you that I’m a white belt that never gave up." - Jean Jacques Machado
6. "My opponent is my teacher, my ego is my enemy." - Renzo Gracie
7. "Always assume that your opponent is going to be bigger, stronger and faster than you; so that you learn to rely on technique, timing and leverage rather than brute strength." - Helio Gracie
8."No aspect of jiu jitsu is invented, only discovered. Every possible submission, sweep or throw already exists... progression is a matter of revelation, we have to learn to see what is there." - Francisco Mansor
9. "Jiu jitsu and martial arts do not build character, they reveal it. We are all born with unmeasurable courage and determination, but it is as we go through the trials of rigorous training that we rediscover those gifts." - Ricardo Almeida
10. "Jiu jitsu is the science and art of control that leads to submission." - John Danaher